Wednesday 16 September 2015

The Tone Police

Up until very recently (I’m talking maybe five months ago), I was a member of the Tone Police. I was under the impression that anger was an unproductive emotion and only worked counterproductively because it demonstrated a lack of control over oneself and her emotions. As of late there’s been some bad blood between Miley Cyrus and Nicki Minaj. Miley said in an interview that she didn’t respect something Nicki said on Twitter because Nicki reacted emotionally and allowed her emotions to seep into her words. Then on the VMAs Nicki freaked everyone out by publicly calling out Miley, who was hosting the show.
Five months ago I probably would have agreed with Miley, but today I don’t. Today I’m happy to take Nicki’s side because I’m starting to understand that an emotional reaction does not mean someone is not in control of themselves. I used to hold myself to this standard, too, forcing myself (usually unsuccessfully) to remain calm in debates so that people would take me seriously. But I’m also finding out that there are intersectional dimensions to this and that tone policing is something done mostly to black women and WOC who react in anger or in sadness as a way to silence them (as if there isn’t enough other ways to do that already). Thinking about it now, it doesn’t make any sense that myself or anyone else would ever think this way about anything. Audre Lorde’s piece, “The Uses of Anger” put this in major perspective for me. Anger is not an unproductive or counterproductive emotion because “its object is change” (Lorde). In that way maybe anger is the most productive emotion.
“If I speak to you in anger, at least I have spoken to you,” Lorde begins, “I have not put a gun to your head and shot you down in the street.” Beyond what the sentence itself says, what this speaks to for me is the idea that anger does not breed nor encourage violence in any way; it’s people’s misunderstanding of anger, whether it’s their own or someone else’s, that causes violence. Anger is not the same as hate but is frequently mistaken as such. Anger in itself does not seek to cause harm or hurt nor does it seek to prove the superiority of she who is angry. If people didn’t associate anger with these things, maybe anger could begin to do what it was always meant to.

In order for anger to become productive again, there will need to be a redefinition of what it means to be angry, and it needs to look like Lorde’s definition in her article. Indeed, it is not anger itself “that will destroy us but our refusals to stand still, to listen to its rhythms, to learn within it, to move beyond the manner of presentation to the substance, to tap that anger as an important source of empowerment.” To be angry is not to be hateful, it is to be passionate enough to be emotional, and I believe there is phenomenal strength in passion.
I’d love to hear from people about their experiences being or being called out by members of the Tone Police. I’m also interested in the productive ways everyone uses their anger and how we might be better at using and responding to anger.

2 comments:

  1. I really like your reflection on this Natasha, and I can definitely relate! I also used to base some arguments solely on the way the other individual communicated themselves, and not the actual things they were saying. It’s a bit hard to reflect back on that but at the same time it’s important because it produced self-growth and change to something that is more effective. 

    Coming from the other end of it, I recently got into a debate over the Syrian refugee crisis where the other individual was wholeheartedly trying to argue that letting these individuals into “our” country would be opening doors to “potential terrorists, criminals, etc.”. Long story short I got really angry and rallied back as best as I could to combat this ridiculous opinion. This individual kept asking why I was so angry and telling me I shouldn’t be so angry because it’s “not even my problem anyway”. Lorde’s piece made me really think about how that anger is okay and I shouldn’t be shoving it down within myself so other people may respect my opinion more. 

    I think it would productive to state why our anger and other individual’s anger is not the the issue. It would be important to state why the emotion surrounding an argument/the way someone communicates their ideas and feelings is shouldn’t be focussed on. Explaining the concept of tone policing would perhaps be a good practice in promoting why it needs to be disregarded.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed your summarization of Lorde’s piece and the way you bring her arguments into current events. Your statement that there is “strength in passion” resonates with me and I think this is because I flip from feeling neutral to feeling out-raged very quickly. As someone who does not police her tone I was very pleased to read of Lorde’s defense of the uses of anger. However, saying that I am not part of the Tone Police does not mean that I had realized these uses of my anger before reading Lorde’s work; rather I had simply given up trying to hold back my passion and anger for many things.
    I believe this piece will really help our class to think about and discuss the issues we are learning about. If, as you demonstrate, we think of anger as productive and non-violent, the anger we may feel in class during readings or activities does not have to be a bad thing. As you support Nicki’s reaction, we as a class can support each other’s anger and see the potential within it. Maybe I do get angry and worked up about many topics but there are so many things in this world, things we are learning about constantly in Women’s and Gender Studies classes, worthy and in need of that anger.

    ReplyDelete