Friday 18 September 2015

Anger stems from Passion …. But From Whom?

Just reading  Audre Lorde’s piece, I could grasp the passion in her writing about her experiences as a woman of color who addresses the oppression and racist attitudes she endures whether directly or in directly within  society.  She appears to want to have the opportunity to have an open platform to express her anger and passion about the issues that personally affect her and other women of color without having to worry about offending others whether if there are “privileged white women” or other women of color. Lorde emphasizes on how her expression of anger and openness is to not make others feel guilt as that within itself will not solve the issues that she is addressing but to listen. Although, she understands not everyone can relate in the same way, there is a way to become an ally by acknowledging and accepting that this form of expression of anger and frustration can stem from an institutional , societal and personal levels of oppression that she and other women continue to endure. 

Anger itself is not the issue but especially being a black woman who is already characterized by this stereotype of constantly being angry makes it harder to reach out to others and be taken seriously. I often feel that I should not express my anger in situations where someone said something offensive that is sexist and racist because I could be perceived as a typical “angry black woman” with attitude but if my white counterparts decide to speak out against the very same offense then they are viewed as being brave and authentic. Keep in mind, I do not think that is always the case but this is from my own personal experience.  When I am the only black woman in my surroundings and I express my opinion on how women of color are treated systemically and socially, I am often perceived as bitter or that I’m stating that I am being victimized and looking too hard into things, I am passionate about these issues because I deal with it in most aspects of my life and to be scrutinized for expressing that whether through anger or sadness is exactly why anger is needed to be heard and you can still be speaking from a logical and legitimate  point of view and be angry. After all haven’t most social and political movements originated from the very same form of expression?


There is a quote that really stood out to me in Lorde’s piece “Women responding to racism means women responding to anger; Anger of exclusion, of unquestioned privilege, of racial distortions, of silence, ill-use, stereotyping, defensiveness, misnaming, betrayal, and co-optation”. Those few words were expressive , authentic and just as legitimate and powerful from my point of view. 

No comments:

Post a Comment