Friday 18 September 2015

The Rules We Live By

The want and need to control situations in our life is at the core of every human. With this feeling of control comes the feeling of safety, and more and more in our society people strive to achieve this feeling of total safeness. Without control, we have fear; fear of the unforeseeable. With this in mind, a point that I feel Campbell argues very well in her article is the fact that throughout our lives women are taught the false idea that we can control whether or not we are attacked, and we are therefore responsible for our own level of safety. The “rules” that Campbell speaks of, such as don’t walk alone at night, don’t park your car in dark places, carry a whistle, learn self-defence, walk with assertiveness, and so on, dictate how women live their lives, and can transform us into “caged animals” within a society.
After reading the article, I began to think of all the small things that I do to make myself feel more in control, and therefore more safe. I recently moved into an apartment on my own and, like one of the women in the article, chose the apartment on the second floor and not the first. I make sure that I check my storage closet right when I enter the apartment. I walk with assertiveness and grip my keys strongly in my hand, as if a key can do more damage than a potential attacker. What stuck with me the most in the article was the woman, who also lived her life by these rules, yet these did not prevent her from being attacked in her own home. And, much like the interviewer, I will not be leaving my window open at night anytime in the near future.
What I find most problematic about these rules is the fact that, firstly, as Campbell mentions in her article, these rules allow society to believe that women are in control of their attackers actions and therefore how women act can dictate what another may do to them. Secondly, after an attack has happened these rules give licence to the media to portray the rape survivor as “doing something wrong.” Personally, I believe that the media plays a vast role in creating the atmosphere of victim blaming within the broader society. While doing light research on the topic, I found myself in a wormhole of YouTube videos of past news broadcasts, in which the reporters portrayed more of a sympathy for the accused than for the victim, and who continuously made allegations toward the victim on reasons why this might have happened to them and things they could have done to avoid it.       

In a society where media and social media influence so much of our thoughts, ideals, and even laws, it is not surprising that many of these women felt re-victimized while trying to find justice. How can we feel supported or safe in a society where we turn on the T.V. and see female reporters attacking other women for their “allegations” of rape? 

3 comments:

  1. Karah, I think you bring up a hard hitting point, that media does play a tremendous role in the way that our society thinks critically about sexual assault. And like you said, what does it say about the society we live in, when the media is potentially sympathizing with the attacker rather than the survivor?

    I don't have an answer to your question, I have no idea how we navigate a society safely when survivors are blamed for their actions, or called liars when they are finally brave enough to come forward. People find it so difficult to accept that sexual assault is so prevalent, that it isn't just a small percentage of people this happens to. I think its that realization that scares people from believing the statistics, and from believing survivors. Because when you support them, and accept the truth about the society we live in, we can no longer trust the rules we have been provided, and our world becomes a much scarier place. It means that sexual assault becomes a random spontaneous thing (which we know it is already) and that it truly could happen to anyone, most likely by someone we know. It is easier to pretend people are lying then to face reality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved that you used the phrase “fear of the unforeseeable”. That is exactly how I think of it. It is absolutely a control issue and having it or losing it greatly affects our sense of security. If all of society really knew and believed the statistics on sexual assault, we would not be in a relationship or talk to any men we have ever known ever again. It is extremely discouraging that there is nothing at all we could ever do to 100% prevent it. Also, if it happens to us we will still feel shame and possibly be publicly shamed if it made it to the news. We have to change the way the world thinks about sexual assault. How we do that, I also have no idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you mention, the narratives offered by media in sexual assault cases are a major factor in our societal habit of victim blaming survivors of sexual assault.

    I often think of the reaction during the early days of the Jian Ghomeshi case, where most media reports were quick to accept the narrative offered by him -- that his victims were, essentially, crazy ex-girlfriends who couldn't handle rough sex. And I distinctly remember a number of people wondering why his victims simply didn't leave if they didn't like the situation they were in, or why they waited so long to come forward with their testimony. As if it is so simple and easy a decision to make. Same with the case of Bill Cosby. Or Kobe Bryant. Or Patrick Kane. The list goes on. The lack of sympathy for survivors does not begin in the court of public opinion, but it is certainly cemented there.

    Even in cases where it is absolutely clear sexual assault occurred, the defendants of the case are still portrayed as having their lives ruined. See the Steubenville Rape Case, where the rapists were constantly touted as promising athletes who were having their careers interrupted, not as the rapists they are.

    As is the case with the judicial system at large, we have to make massive changes to the way we view sexual assault in the media and society at large. It is a crime that is viewed as more damaging to have an allegation than to be a survivor, which is a logic skew of mind-boggling proportions. I wish I could provide a simple solution, but I feel that the rise of calling out media who partake in this kind of reporting is a good first step. What that next step is, though, I can't say.

    ReplyDelete