Friday 18 September 2015

The Appropriation of "Feeling"

Firstly, I have to acknowledge that this post will likely read very similarly to Michelle's on the same topic, so apologies to Michelle for biting your topic. This has, however, been bothering me since I read Campbell's work, so I feel as though I must blog about it. Specifically what I'm referring to is the constant use of "feeling" rape throughout the chapter.

Obviously, I cannot state whether or not any person who participated as an interviewer experienced sexual assault themselves (and would apologize profusely for attempting to overpower their experience if they had), nor would I ever want to demean the extremely emotional experience that accompanies listening to a survivor's account of their assault. Having done so myself, I can attest to the feelings of powerlessness and helplessness that accompany this. Sympathizing is absolutely overwhelming in this situation, and I know the realization that a woman is never truly safe in the world around her is earth-shattering (as several people in the class attested to during our discussion.)

But, having said that, with the experiences that I have had in sexual assault cases of truly horrifying natures, I would never, ever, deign to say that I have "felt" rape. I have been shocked, appalled, saddened, horrified, disgusted, and have been so affected that I, like some of the interviewers in the chapter, altered my day to day habits in response to what I heard. But none of those feelings or reactions equate to the experience of being raped, and it feels appropriative to me to put reactions to rape narratives on the same plane as the act being of raped itself. It's taking the feelings of the survivors with none of the actual experience itself. It's rape-lite.

At the end of the day, much like the lived experience of racism, the intricacies of living as a sexual assault survivor are not and can not be truly understood by those who have not experienced it themselves. Experiencing the failures of the system -- medically, judicially, socially, financially etc. -- is wildly differently than imagining what those things would feel like if they were applied to oneself, even if there is a level of empathy attached to living as a woman in rape culture. Though I understand and respect the intent behind saying that the cases made the interviewers feel rape, it is still in poor form to draw the parallel between their emotions and the lived experiences of the survivors. It is likely easier and more concise to say that the interviewers "felt" rape through their experience; it is much more truthful to explain to their readers that they understood the aftermath of rape on a more visceral level than they had before.

1 comment:

  1. This post really resonated with me, Andrea! Thanks for writing it.

    While I believe genuine empathy is invaluable in supporting sexual assault survivors, I completely agree with your point that claiming one has "felt" rape even if they haven't is harmful and appropriative of their lived experience.

    I feel Campbell could have nuanced her argument to say that all women have felt some facet of the rape culture spectrum, not just rape itself. So, in other words, faces of rape are prevalent in and police the daily lives of feminized populations, though each of us cannot possibly "feel" what someone else has felt. Further, as Campbell points out, connecting "too much" with anyone's experience may cause us to harmfully victim-blame (i.e. "I understand what they have gone through, but I would have responded to that in a different way, and my way of responding would have been better").

    Although I've experienced things that I define as sexual assault, I know that my experiences are different from other people's. I can say I would have reacted to any variety of sexual assault in my own way, but there's no way I can tell my way was the right way for that person in the moment, nor can I claim I fully understand the myriad of complex emotions or challenges that person is facing after their assault.

    If we want to approach sexual assault from a feminist angle, we must honour the choices the survivor made before, during and after the assault as something that was right for them in the moment.

    ReplyDelete