Friday 18 September 2015

Using My Anger

The Simpson article has stayed with me this whole week. The frustration I feel and the anger I have for the women and the issue as a whole is great. Reading the Lorde article, Uses of Anger, was an excellent follow up reading because it reminded me that being internally angry about any issue is merely making myself feel better or less guilty but not creating any action of change.

When the system one lives in knocks them down repeatedly, not allowing them to get ahead or create a real life for themselves is tragic. I do not believe that many women who work as prostitutes choose that life because of anything other than survival. They are living day to day. Although I cannot imagine having that life, I do believe that if a police officer offered to give me a ride and buy me a meal I would say yes. With the amount of knowledge I have about the world now it would never cross my mind to be wary of a police officer. I know better know. It is only a human behind that badge and humans are capable of committing atrocious acts.

The woman who was raped by those police officers and the other guy later was upset because she did not get paid. At first I was also a little thrown off but as I worked it out in my head I thought maybe every “date” she has feels like being raped. When she does get paid she feels better about it because she made money or that money is acting as hush money and she now views what happened as something she can no longer discuss. She might have different feelings about sexual acts because she was raped by a child or she did not know another way to feel wanted. There are many life events that happen to everyone that change the way we think about certain foods, places, people and actions.


Many, many things make me angry. The issue of this women not having anywhere to go to find help or get justice is one of my angering issues. I am still working on how we can improve the lives of the women working on the streets but my road block what is the first issue that needs to be tackled? Do we help with concurring addiction or creating housing opportunities? Do we start with the girls who are in elementary and junior high schools to steer them away from this life style. Do I butt out because I am some priviledged, white girl from Leduc that gives them a sandwich once a week and does not know them? Hopefully this class and continued volunteer work will get me closer to an answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment