Friday 9 October 2015

Transforming Rapists?

While reading through Williams’ article, “A Look at Feminist Forms of Justice That Don’t Involve the Police,” I found myself wholeheartedly agreeing with much of her analysis, as well as several of the tactics many feminist groups have used to respond to sexual assault. With the way women of colour, trans women and queer women are repeatedly abused and neglected by the police, it makes total sense to me that giving up on police involvement altogether is the only viable solution for combatting systemic sexual violence. However, learning about some of the ways feminist groups have dealt with perpetrators, particularly with regard to “transformative,” as opposed to retributional justice, left me feeling confused and defiant. The idea that perpetrators might deserve a chance to redeem themselves, let alone that this atonement is possible was baffling to me. But, after spending some time processing my reactions, I think my anger stems more from my own personal biases than the action itself. 

Williams’ defines transformative justice as methods that hold the perpetrator accountable for their actions, while also teaching them and the other community members why these actions are wrong, and sometimes giving the perpetrator a chance to enter back into that community, as long as they are able to atone for what they did. Although the article highlights the fact that many feminists disagree with this tactic, Williams’ also asserts that this method may contribute to “building a community where robust accountability is possible, expected, and likely.” 

As a sexual assault survivor, I’ve often fantasized about confronting my perpetrator, or at least knowing that he is haunted by his actions. I have never fantasized about my perpetrator learning from his mistakes and bettering himself as a person, nor have I ever felt a desire to forgive him. Although I do not agree with the literal sentiment, I have always felt a sense of power after seeing “kill your local rapist” street art around the city. I’m not sure that I would feel the same sense of justice toward an “educate your local rapist” slogan. Of course, I understand that this isn’t what Williams’ is advocating for, either. The feminist communities that work toward collective accountability do not seem at all dismissive of the assault survivors’ anger or fear, and it is clear that the perpetrator is meant to work toward rebuilding a sense of safety within a community. 


Why am I so uncomfortable with a method that seems both more attainable and beneficial to dismantling rape culture? I think at least one aspect of this is my desire to dehumanize abusers. If I believe only one-dimensional monsters are capable of abuse, being abused feels easier to avoid. However, truly believing that perpetrators are capable of learning from their mistakes and re-fostering a safe space means I need to acknowledge that they are in fact complex human beings, and thus anyone is capable of assault. Logically, I know this is the reality whether I want to believe it or not. That being said, I think the idea that perpetrators can learn and in some instances may even want to, is key to truly confronting systemic violence. Preventative education so that people know how not to abuse is important, but the reality is a large minority of people have already abused, and will continue to do so without any kind of intervention. If we refuse to educate perpetrators, and re-integrate them into communities, is change still possible? Is it worth it if survivors feel unsafe in the process?

1 comment:

  1. Hey Amy,
    I think you summed up my feelings on "transformative" forms of justice and community accountability models pretty succinctly. I agree that I don't think these tactics aren't meant to dismiss survivors' experiences- but they often come across that way. Because really, it’s a lot to expect from someone who has already endured trauma that they should have never had to go through. By the way, I really appreciate you acknowledging your own experience with sexual assault... I think you and anyone else in this class who has been able to connect these discussions and readings to their own position as survivors –either through disclosing it in class/on the blogs or by even just having to confront it in their own personal lives is INCREDIBILY brave. So thank you, your voice is invaluable to this conversation. And I’m just not sure these models can function without survivors’ voices and experiences. There are so many unwanted, unjust, and completely unfair responsibilities that come with being a survivor that just aren’t expected from perpetrators. The accountability and transformative models are included in this- they depend on a great deal of patience and tolerance and ultimately acceptance from survivors in order to produce real justice that isn’t being served through other systems. I don’t think this “acceptance” has to mean compassion, understanding or forgiveness, because it shouldn’t. I think you’re right, there is an education piece missing here, but to say sexual assault begins and ends with “more knowledge” hasn’t seemed to solve much...but what other choice do we have?

    ReplyDelete