Friday 30 October 2015

I Am Very Angry

As we were watching that clip from "Finding Dawn" in class today, I began to reflect on the pedagogy and information I've come across through my years in the public education system and as a university undergrad. It is appalling that I have to be in a WGS class to begin to undo my current "knowledges" on indigenous people in Canada and that a lot of people without the privilege of post-secondary education will have a harder time unlearning (or just not unlearn) the falsehoods about indigenous people in Canada. I am angry at myself, angry at public schools, and angry at the general apathy around lives of indigenous people in Canada. It is frustrating that colonial violence is still alive and well and I don't feel like there's anything I can do to help undo this violence. I suppose I can keep checking my privilege as a white settler, but what good does that ACTUALLY do for indigenous people who still first hand experience this violence? UNDERSTANDING ONE'S SPACE DOESN'T FIX THE PROBLEM. I AM SO ANGRY.

(This post isn't my weekly blog. I am just frustrated and this seemed like an appropriate outlet.)

No comments:

Post a Comment