Friday 2 October 2015

Gendering Power


This week’s readings made me question how rape and other sexual assaults should be defined. I used to think that rape was just about power, but then up until this point in our class we have talked about the dangers of eliminating gender and sex from the definition of rape. However, this week’s reading contents did make me think about the importance of power when defining these terms.

While reading Michael Munson’s blog post on sexual violence towards the Trans community, I was struck by how our construction of rape as a gendered crime “re-victimizes the millions of survivors who are not women, and those who have not been assaulted by men.” In Jos Truitt’s article she takes this notion a step further by claiming that rape is gendered but that “both the act and idea of rape are used to perpetuate a patriarchal gender hierarchy.” This plays into the idea of rape as a power dynamic, while still acknowledging the fact that it is often still entrenched in the gender. Furthermore, this definition does encapsulate a wider variety of experiences, since it allows the perpetrators and survivors of assault to be genderless. It implies instead that rape is a tool used to enforce patriarchal power, but this structure of patriarchy can take many forms. It does also still acknowledge that most perpetrators are cis-gendered men, which I think is important. I just think that we cannot separate the notions of power and control that are involved with sexual violence.

Jos Truitt also argues that “we don’t actually know how strong the gender disparity is largely because of how gendered our concept of rape is.” While I don’t think that we can separate gender completely from rape I do agree that our focus on gendering rape marginalizes a lot of survivors, and that that is dangerous. I don’t think that we can separate rape from gender when addressing violence against trans-people either, but I suppose this brings be back to how power is a gendered thing. That’s why I like the sentence in Truitt’s post about the enforcement of patriarchal hierarchy, because I think that power is inherently gendered, and that rape is inherently a sexual crime. I think that acknowledging that all power gendered may be a better way (for me at least) to try to understand how to define rape.

2 comments:

  1. I am also unsure how to define rape. I think approaching rape from an “all power as gendered” perspective is a good way to look at it, but I am curious as to how other intersections fit in this approach. Perhaps we look at sexual assault as a reinforcement of dangerous masculinities. I think if we first start to remove the conflation between sex and gender and move the conversation around just gender, we can account for more encompassing discourse around sexual assault. Of course, sexual assault is a gendered issue, but I think when defining sexual assault if we use the term “gendered” it creates a very binary connotation. As we’ve seen in the readings for this week, this connotation of “gendered” can initiate a sort of violence for those people who do not have experiences that share the common sexual assault narrative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your response James! I really wanted to know what others thought about this. I suppose when I was saying that power is gendered I was also thinking about how those who do not fit into the gender binary are victims of the patriarchal hierarchy as well. I'm still not sure how to put this into words but it is something that I have been ruminating over. This has given me more to consider.

    ReplyDelete